Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Rock Otaku’s Rockin’ Billboard Chart Watch: February 11, 2017 (with true introduction)

Hello degenerates, heathens, weirdos, and deviants.  I am the Rock Otaku, and I’m here to show you worlds such as hard rock, metal, punk, alternative rock, movies, TV, anime, video games, and anything that makes us scream, shout, and let it all out.

Welcome to my Rockin’ Billboard Chart Watch.  Here, I take a break from reviewing classic heavy metal albums, movies, TV, anime, games, and so on to review what is popular in the rock scene according to Billboard.  Back in the late 19th century, the magazine started as a news source for the entertainment industry back in the day (thus, circuses, fairs, and burlesque shows were covered), then, when music became a big business, it started covering music.  Then they started having an album chart, then a singles chart, in the mid-20th century, both of which are still going on to this very day, with changes to accommodate the changes in the landscape of music distribution.  But for the rock stuff, the first chart, which would be known today as the Mainstream Rock chart, debuted on March 21, 1981, with the Alternative Songs chart following suit in 1988, the Adult Alternative chart premiering some time in 2008, then the all-encompassing Hot Rock Songs chart came to fruition in 2009.  Here, I review them all, in order of either mainstream importance, date of creation, or which songs have the most material I can cover each week.

While I may not completely discuss all 4 of those, I will provide my thoughts on this week’s charts.  However, due to how I originally did things, and how this is a different ball game, I am going to be seriously late with this one.  But don’t you fret, I’ll provide some of my smooth commentary on the new tracks that came out for each chart.  For the older ones, I plan on doing catch-up specials, where I discuss earlier weeks in 2017 for these charts and determine what my thoughts were for each chart.  So for today, I’ll provide my two cents for the songs that came out for Billboard’s February 11, 2017 versions of the Hot Rock Songs, Alternative Songs, and Mainstream Rock songs in that order.  As for Adult Alternative, that would be more of a special moment if there’s a song everybody reading these things wants me to praise or tear into.  Plus I plan on having an alternation between these three charts and the Japan Hot 100 next week (which I should start ahead of time).  As a result, don’t get angry if this feels late.  I am learning from this process alongside you all.

Now for the Hot Rock Songs, in order of highest position to lowest, with reviews for new tracks:

1.         Heathens – twenty one pilots (1 last week): tired of it
2.         Ride – twenty one pilots (2 last week): May review next time if I get 10 views for this entry
3.         HandClap – Fitz And The Tantrums (4 last week): don’t like
4.         Unsteady – X Ambassadors (3 last week): really don’t like
5.         Way Down We Go – Kaleo (6 last week): good
6.         Sucker For Pain – Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa & Imagine Dragons With Logic & Ty Dolla $ign Feat. X Ambassadors (5 last week): meh
7.         Love On The Weekend – John Mayer (14 last week): May review next time if I get 20 views for this entry.
8.         Moving On And Getting Over – John Mayer (new):
Let’s start the new reviews with an artist that I feel may not be as salvageable as most artists due to his first impression on us.  For John Mayer, while there’s a sense that his musical style has evolved into a more bluesy rock style that showcases how surprisingly good of a guitarist while having a stronger sense of melody than ever.  But where I can see issues with him is how he started: as one of those frat boys with acoustic guitars that we do this to:
You know these guys.
And the worst part?  His lyrics may have improved a bit to match his main style, but they have a long way to go on the relatability part.  Not to say that he has to be an otaku metalhead to make me like him, but he’s both too relatable and too processed for mass appeal.  What I mean is that he’s rather plain enough that you can relate to him, but so shallow that there’s a lingering sense that he was created to appeal to 30-something single women who are not the kind to get a man easily.  And he’s also kind of a jerk outside of music.

Does that sour this track for me?  Does that mean that I’ll dislike this light-blues rocker in the coming future?  Does that mean I’ll not enjoy the aspects that do work like the guitar tone, licks, and solo?  Stay Tuned.  But for now, this is a nice sounding meh song.

9.         Ophelia – The Lumineers (7 last week): May review next time if I get 30 views for this entry.
10.       You're Gonna Live Forever In Me – John Mayer (new):
Another John Mayer song?  Seriously, did he release something earlier this year?  A comment on the YouTube link above said something about Toy Story.  And hearing this?  I think it would fit too well.  I would rather stick with Randy Newman or another talented artist (or more talented than Randy Newman) making songs for the Toy Story franchise.  Especially with a sequel coming out that I am not excited for (Because 3 was a great ending).  But for the song, it’s just piano and whistling and John Mayer’s vocals trying to sound higher, where I feel that his more unlikeable aspects come into play.  It’s a nice sounding song overall, and I get the lyrical aspects being about him telling someone that might be dead or broken up with him (the song may be better, though uncomfortable, if it was the former, but worse and unsalvageable if it was the latter).  But I don’t see me listening to this often (even within metal and hard rock, the ballads are soft enough for a breather).

11.       Chain Breaker – Zach Williams (9 last week): May review next time if I get 40 views for this entry
12.       Changing – John Mayer (new):
So the melody may be the best of his songs, but the fact that John Mayer, John freaking Mayer, is charting this high is a sign to me that even the rock scene is taking Ritalin.  Seriously, the songs he has on this chart are too mellow to avoid comparisons to his earlier, unlikeable material.  This may have more energy than “You’re Gonna Live Forever In Me,” but it’s not something I’d listen to over and over again unless it’s in a crazy mix playlist (and even then, hair, anison, and j-pop ballads do the trick better for me).  It’s not completely unsalvageable, as it has a good bluesy guitar solo in the bridge.  And the song is about the passage of time (I think, if not, then someone is getting keelhauled), so there’s that.  Of the new arrivals, this is not the most remarkable.

13.       Still Breathing – Green Day (12 last week): good
14.       Somebody Else – The 1975 (11 last week): like it
15.       Cleopatra – The Lumineers (16 last week): May review next time if I get 50 views for this entry
16.       Heavydirtysoul – twenty one pilots (13 last week): May review next time if I get 60 views for this entry
17.       Take It All Back – Judah & The Lion (17 last week): meh
18.       Human – Rag'n'Bone Man (20 last week): May review next time if I get 70 views for this entry
19.       Waste A Moment – Kings Of Leon (15 last week): like it
20.       Not Easy – Alex Da Kid Featuring X Ambassadors, Elle King & Wiz Khalifa (10 last week): May review next time if I get 80 views for this entry
21.       My Name Is Human – Highly Suspect (18 last week): amazing
22.       She's Out Of Her Mind – Blink-182 (21 last week): good
23.       On Hold – The xx (8 last week): May review next time if I get 90 views for this entry
24.       Testify – NEEDTOBREATHE (26 last week): May review next time if I get 100 views for this entry
25.       With I Knew You – The Revivalists (31 last week): May review next time if I get 110 views for this entry
26.       Sleep On The Floor – The Lumineers (27 last week): May review next time if I get 120 views for this entry
27.       How Did You Love – Shinedown (22 last week): Good
28.       Square Hammer – Ghost (28 last week): Great
29.       Go Robot – Red Hot Chili Peppers (34 last week): Good
30.       Wild Horses – Bishop Briggs (30 last week): May review next time if I get 130 views for this entry
31.       Talk Too Much – COIN (33 last week): May review next time if I get 140 views for this entry
32.       Monster – Starset (46 last week): Great
33.       I Give You Power – Arcade Fire Featuring Mavis Staples (new):
If there’s a confession I can make here, I never got into Arcade Fire.  Now that most of you may want to crucify me, let me also say that this song is alright.  Its issues come from being more of a dark, depressing EDM-sounding song rather than a rock song (even with their weird instrumentation), and that it sounds like a rip of Kanye West’s “Gold Digger.”  Not to say that sounding like Kanye is a bad idea, but sounding less like him might remind me less of that BBC interview he did (you know the one).  Another artist it somehow reminds me of is Black Eyed Peas with their song “Boom Boom Pow,” and reminding me of that mess is grounds for this being your ultimate fate:
Yes, I am not impressed with this song.  And my disinterest in Arcade Fire continues, and this may have turned me off of Mavis Staples for a while.  There isn’t much else to say here.

34.       Atlas, Rise! – Metallica (35 last week): Great
35.       Loser – Falling In Reverse (new):
Finally, something I can review.  Sleazy hard rock from Hot Topic-friendly artists.  This is going to be fun.  Where most sleazy hard rock bands can be saved by the musicians supporting the singer, said singer is usually the make-or-break moment.  And this guy is such a whiny, depressed, pathetic singer that I can only see him singing about he’s at the bottom of the desirability totem pole rather than the top.  And considering this guy was kicked out of Escape the Fate for something other than being the titular loser of this song, that’s saying something.  But that doesn’t mean this song DOESN’T put me in a good mood.  The reason is because the musical performance, no matter how generic and slathered in electronics it is, is loud, aggressive, and musically interesting enough that I can separate the singer from the rest of the band and be react to him in the appropriate manner:
Despite the surprisingly great guitar solo, this is the singer to me:
And yes, not even Anchor Arms can make him less of a wimp.  Even Natsuru Senō is tougher than this wimp.  He doesn’t deserve the attention of Revolver, he belongs here with Anakin Skywalker:
Burn!
We think you got the wrong place for Ronnie Radke.  He belongs next door with Kylo Ren.

...And I am not a weenie.  Neither was my dear grandfather.
Talk about pathetic.  Too bad this song was more enjoyable than what premiered on the chart above it due to how bad it is.  This is the bad I can listen to, so expect this on the dishonorable mentions list for the worst of 2017.  Enjoy the praise, Falling In Reverse, you’ll need it.

As for why I didn’t use the opportunity to make fun of SJWs here, here’s my thoughts on them:
And neither should you.
36.       Fire Escape – Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness (40 last week): May review next time if I get 150 views for this entry
37.       All The Pretty Girls – Kaleo (39 last week): May review next time if I get 160 views for this entry
38.       Hot Thoughts – Spoon (new):
An opportunity to make this reference?
Yay!

As for the song, it’s pure indie rock fluff.  Not as lame as Arcade Fire or as hilarious as Falling In Reverse, but surprisingly groovy.  At least there’s some sort of drive and momentum this time around; I thought I would groan or laugh throughout these.  The electronics provide a sense of atmosphere here, which is what they’re SUPPOSED to do in my mind.  The drums feel authentic even if they may be electronic.  There is a strong bassline.  The guitars are pretty good here, mixing jangling chords with rock star lines.  There’s also a sense that the lyrics deal with the sort of crazy thoughts that come at moments when they make the most sense, while dealing with false love.  But before things get too weird, I can say that the vocal performance is great here.  Top material, and I hope this can make the top of the chart.  I’d prefer harder rock, but sometimes, you need a good sound to get my attention and praise.

If you’re wondering how the name of the band came to be:
I love making references to The Tick.

39.       Cocoon – Milky Chance (45 last week): May review next time if I get 170 views for this entry
40.       Cancer – twenty one pilots (38 last week): May review next time if I get 180 views for this entry
41.       Stars – Skillet (47 last week): May review next time if I get 190 views for this entry
42.       Shine – Mondo Cozmo (48 last week): May review next time if I get 200 views for this entry
43.       7 – Catfish And The Bottlemen (returning):
A returning entry?  The wonders of Billboard’s charting process.  But before I make note that the video features a British-sounding band using American currency, the music is pretty rocking.  With its retro flavor, the pounding rhythms, and the forceful vocals, even the song uses acoustic guitars, this song provides a sense of energy that might have surpassed Spoon’s efforts.  As a result, this is a song that I can genuinely like.  I can wonder what the title means, but this song’s chorus, which deals with the singer having an issue of acting before he thinks, gives me a sense that this song is probably going to be a strong empowerment anthem.  But because none of these guys are gals, LGBT, or minorities, the liberal establishment will pass these guys over, which is a damn shame as these guys are probably the most notable breath of fresh air in the stagnant rock scene.  I’m guessing that Catfish and the Bottlemen needed to put a banjo in there to appease the hipsters.

44.       On + Off – Maggie Rogers (new):
This song is a lot better than I expected.  If it wasn’t for the charismatic, though young-looking singer, then this song would have been something I would have had a hissy fit over if it made the rock charts.  That’s how much of a joke the rock charts have been for a while.  But that doesn’t mean this song is bad or mediocre.  It’s pretty good, and the singer pushes it to good.  The song is bouncy and fun already despite the pop production (shouldn’t that not be a criticism because people more notable than me say these two things combined is a good thing).  There are some jangly guitars here, despite the song being driven more by synths and weird instrumentation, but there’s a sense of melody here, and a style, that allows me to forgive the lack of guitars (I care about electric guitars in music, if you haven’t figured by now).  Plus, Maggie is a surprisingly good singer in general.  If there’s any issues that keeps this from being top material for me, it’s bubbly enough to catch my attention, but not enough to completely stick.  Good song though, just to remind you.

And somewhere, Krillin’s like, “We get it!  You find this song good!”

45.       The Stage – Avenged Sevenfold (42 last week): good
46.       Angela – The Lumineers (50 last week): May review next time if I get 210 views for this entry
47.       Seal The Deal – Volbeat (returning):
I’ve already reviewed this song before on another series, but I feel that it’s time to revisit my thoughts, since I put “The Devil’s Bleeding Crown” on my best-of list for last year.  But if this song has anything else interesting about it, it’s the fact that it has a thrash metal feel versus the more rockabilly-meets-groove metal feel of the aforementioned song.  This fits Rob Caggiano’s style extremely well (he was in Anthrax).  For everything else I might have said about this song, here’s a rundown.  The song is fast and furious, the guitars slay, the bass is thick and aggressive, the drums hit hard, the vocal from Michael Poulsen (no relation to Rob Paulson) are empowering, and so are the lyrics, dealing with sticking to your guns, and the solo is something to behold.  Overall, it’s a perfect radio metal song.  It’s got punch, grit, and intensity that most band’s would sell their souls to Beelzebub for.

48.       Say Something Loving – The xx (19 last week): May review next time if I get 220 views for this entry
49.       Never Again – Breaking Benjamin (43 last week): Good
50.       Revolution – The Score (new):
So at the bottom of the chart is “Revolution” by electro-rock band The Score.  If it wasn’t for the synthesizers, electronics, and drum machine, this could make for a great rock song.  It’s punchy, it has groove, the tone is aggressive and in-your-face with the guts to sell it, the vocals are strong, and so on.  This may not be the song that’d secure my faith in guitar-driven rock, but it’s a song that secures my faith in rock being a major player in the music mainstream (but once we get hot guitar licks back, then we’re good to go).  The singer, Eddie Anthony Ramirez Jr, has a surprisingly powerful voice despite the choice of singing style he goes for here.  The song hits surprisingly hard, and it’s great to see some guts in more contemporary sounds.  

But despite that, this is nowhere near as badass as the rock of yesteryear, when music was more about doing your own thing and doing things that can make scare people.  As a millennial, I’m embarrassed that we’re going for stuff like this…
…rather than this…
…or this…
…or this…
…or maybe this…
…or this…
…OR EVEN THIS…
Stupid SJWs.  They’re ruining our music like how they’re ruining our comics.

Despite that angry showcase of my taste in punk and metal, here’s the Alternative Songs:

1.         Still Breathing – Green Day (1 last week): good
2.         She's Out Of Her Mind – Blink-182 (2 last week): good
3.         Take It All Back – Judah & The Lion (3 last week): meh
4.         Waste A Moment – Kings Of Leon (4 last week): like it
5.         Cleopatra – The Lumineers (6 last week): May review next time if I get 10 views for this entry
6.         Blood In The Cut – k.flay (5 last week): May review next time if I get 20 views for this entry
7.         Trouble – Cage The Elephant (7 last week): May review next time if I get 30 views for this entry
8.         Somebody Else – The 1975 (10 last week): like it
9.         Heavydirtysoul – twenty one pilots (11 last week): May review next time if I get 40 views for this entry
10.       Human – Rag'n'Bone Man (17 last week): May review next time if I get 50 views for this entry
11.       7 – Catfish And The Bottlemen (16 last week): See above
12.       Fire Escape – Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness (15 last week): May review next time if I get 60 views for this entry
13.       Talk Too Much – COIN (8 last week): May review next time if I get 70 views for this entry
14.       Go Robot – Red Hot Chili Peppers (14 last week): Good
15.       Heathens – twenty one pilots (9 last week): tired of it
16.       Wish I Knew You – The Revivalists (18 last week): May review next time if I get 80 views for this entry
17.       Wild Horses – Bishop Briggs (19 last week): May review next time if I get 90 views for this entry
18.       Tearing Me Up – Bob Moses (20 last week): May review next time if I get 100 views for this entry
19.       Roll Up – Fitz And The Tantrums (21 last week): May review next time if I get 110 views for this entry
20.       Cocoon – Milky Chance (25 last week): May review next time if I get 120 views for this entry
21.       On Hold – The xx (24 last week): May review next time if I get 130 views for this entry
22.       Cold Cold Cold – Cage The Elephant (29 last week): May review next time if I get 140 views for this entry
23.       Blame – Bastille (32 last week): May review next time if I get 150 views for this entry
24.       Sweet Disaster – Dreamers (27 last week): May review next time if I get 160 views for this entry
25.       My Name Is Human – Highly Suspect (26 last week): amazing
26.       Shine – Mondo Cozmo (30 last week): May review next time if I get 170 views for this entry
27.       Hymn For The Weekend – Coldplay (23 last week): May review next time if I get 180 views for this entry
28.       All The Pretty Girls – Kaleo (31 last week): May review next time if I get 190 views for this entry
29.       Move – Saint Motel (22 last week): May review next time if I get 200 views for this entry
30.       Silvertongue – Young The Giant (35 last week): May review next time if I get 210 views for this entry
31.       Oxygen – The Dirty Heads (28 last week): May review next time if I get 220 views for this entry
32.       Highway – Bleeker (33 last week): great
33.       Latchkey Kids – Silversun Pickups (36 last week): May review next time if I get 230 views for this entry
34.       Name For You – The Shins (38 last week): May review next time if I get 240 views for this entry
35.       Same Old Blues – Phantogram (37 last week): May review next time if I get 250 views for this entry
36.       Middle Fingers – Missio (new):
Can we agree that this bassline would cause headaches?  Because it does for me.  It’s not that it’s bad, but that it’s too dour and aggressive for this style.  But that should be a good thing because of how it’s at least not cutesy or ironic.  Or maybe it’s because I’d rather listen music that SOUNDS like hair metal, thrash metal, death metal, power metal, grunge, or anison than stuff that tries to take the feel and apply it to EDM.  Not to say that this style can’t work with electronics.  It just makes this song sound completely smug.  It’s as if the song has the maturity of a spoiled teen who realized that things aren’t so black and white, or someone said that they suck or something, or that they couldn’t have the PS4 they wanted.  As a result, they decided to give EVERYONE the bird.  Excuse me for a second…
I needed that.  At least the song says what it’s about from the title.  But this is a definite skip for me.

37.       Down – Marian Hill (new):
So the next review is for a piano song sung by someone who sounds white.  I’m sorry, but despite the groovy piano, this I’m tuned out from that.  Then the electronics kick in, and the modern hip hop elements come in, and this becomes part of the slurry of downbeat, depressing songs known as modern pop music without the retro inflections (which is why I’d hope to jump in, play glam metal with anime-inspired lyrics, and kick these sad sacs to the curb, but I’m just a guy on the internet).  It’s a song that sounds alright when I give it a shot, but this sounds enough like the bad pop music of recent years, with its tone and attitude, and so on.  I’ll give this song a few more plays, but don’t expect me to care about it.  At least the title make sense.

38.       Hot Thoughts – Spoon (new): see above
39.       Lost On You – LP (new):
This song is definitely better than the two new entries that I discussed earlier, and I can see this song being a contender.  It’s a dark, sad song with enough punch, emotion, and strong musical direction that gives it enough power to sell me on it.  The mix of the emotional vocals that channel Gwen Stefani when she’s not trying to be annoying, the song’s key, the production mixing acoustic guitars, thumping drums and bass, and orchestral flourishes is enough to somehow get me a little concerned for the singer, knowing that she’s in pain singing about how this man she’s into is not understanding her feelings.  Yes, that sappy as hell, but when a girl can sell the emotions she has in this scenario in that scenario, she deserves all the Grammys.  If Adele loses her way, I’d like LP to take her place.

40.       We Don't Know – The Strumbellas (39 last week): May review next time if I get 260 views for this entry

And finally, my favorite one to look at due to a combination of my musical interests, nostalgia, and biases: the Mainstream Rock Chart:

1.         Still Breathing – Green Day (2 last week): good
2.         Atlas, Rise! – Metallica (4 last week): Great
3.         Square Hammer – Ghost (1 last week): Great
4.         How Did You Love – Shinedown (6 last week): Good
5.         My Name Is Human – Highly Suspect (3 last week): amazing
6.         The Stage – Avenged Sevenfold (5 last week): good
7.         Amnesia – Red Sun Rising (8 last week): great
8.         Never Again – Breaking Benjamin (9 last week): good
9.         Seal The Deal – Volbeat (7 last week): see above
10.       Hated – Beartooth (11 last week): good
11.       Take Me – Korn (12 last week): good
12.       Monster – Starset (15 last week): great
13.       Door To Door Cannibals – Chevelle (13 last week): good
14.       Oh My God – The Pretty Reckless (17 last week): great
15.       We Will Not Go Quietly – Sixx: A.M. (14 last week): good
16.       If Only For Now – Pop Evil (16 last week): good
17.       The Truth – In Flames (18 last week): boo
18.       Highway – Bleeker (19 last week): great
19.       The Bottom – Devour The Day (24 last week): great
20.       Go Robot – Red Hot Chili Peppers (21 last week): Good
21.       Waste A Moment – Kings Of Leon (20 last week): like it
22.       Ready For War (Pray For Peace) – Adelitas Way (25 last week): good
23.       Where To I Begin – Sick Puppies (27 last week): okay
24.       Moth Into Flame – Metallica (22 last week): Great
25.       Breathe – Through Fire (26 last week): okay
26.       Blood In The Cut – k.flay (34 last week): May review next time if I get 10 views for this entry
27.       She's Out Of Her Mind – Blink-182 (28 last week): good
28.       Naivety – A Day To Remember (23 last week): okay
29.       The Madness – Art Of Anarchy (29 last week): okay
30.       Breaking Now – From Ashes To New (30 last week): okay
31.       Still Of The Night – Halestorm (35 last week): May review next time if I get 20 views for this entry
32.       Heavydirtysoul – twenty one pilots (33 last week): May review next time if I get 30 views for this entry
33.       Animal – Badflower (31 last week): Great
34.       Oh No – Goodbye June (32 last week): good
35.       Back From The Dead – Skillet (new):
Let me re-read the title.  Okay then, here’s my initial reaction:
Sorry about that, but considering the previous single I gave increasingly jaded thoughts on, I would have guessed that Skillet would have cowered after being proven to not be feeling invincible.  But they had to come back with a song with a hilarious title for this scenario.  Why would they say that they’re back from the dead?  Are they saying that they came back after they were bashed for selling out with “Monster”?  Is this a return to their older style?  This is electronic-tinged butt rock with Christian lyrics.  It’s not something that’d get a lot of attention, or praise for that matter, but it’s probably better than “Feel Invincible,” I think?  Give this a few more times, and I might hate this, but for now, it’s alright.  It has a strong groove, there’s some prominent guitars, John Cooper sounds forceful here, and there’s definitely some decent guitar licks and solos.  It’s not great, but it ain’t bad.  It’s okay for what it is, but not the kind of song to get me excited for more.  Unlike the next new entry….

36.       New Land – Avatar (37 last week): May review next time if I get 40 views for this entry
37.       All Messed Up – The Amity Affliction (36 last week): okay
38.       My Champion – Alter Bridge (new):
Alter Bridge is back to melt faces.  Let’s get this out of the way, but if you’re face ends up on your shirt before Myles Kennedy comes in to sing about the rise of a hero, you’ll need a lot of towels to mop that up and get it back on your head.  As for the song, it’s an optimistic, get back up and kick ass kind of song about being put through the ringer and being unable to fight back until you better yourself.  In short, this is the anthem of a shonen hero.  And that’s the kind of hero we need in the age of Trump, since Marvel is sticking with similar formulas for the movies and being SJWs in the comics, and DC needed another reboot comic-wise while their movies are dour messes with no character.  Not to say that Marvel sucks movie-wise, but they need to be like Alter Bridge (and Goku, Luffy, and so on) and better themselves, explore what they’re capable of.  The optimistic tone is kept in the riffs, the licks, the rhythm, the vocal delivery, and the face melting guitar solo.  If there’s an anime that needs an optimistic, ass-kicking western rock song as its opening or ending theme, this should be considered.  With its mix of grunge, hair metal, arena rock, power metal, progressive rock, and other awesome genres of guitar rock, this song is one that I HOPE makes the top of the charts, or even the top 10.  This already is in the running for the best of 2017.  I feel like I can take on another review after this rocker.  Hell, I feel like taking on the world in my crusade of legitimizing hard rock throughout the world.  Don’t believe me, believe in the me that believes in Alter Bridge.

39.       Weight Of The World – Crown The Empire (39 last week): May review next time if I get 50 views for this entry
40.       Royals – Otep (new):
Why does that title sound familiar?  After giving this song a listen, this song is basically a grown lesbian in her late 30s singing a song from the point of view of a jaded teenage girl (because that was the point of the original song).  If you’re wondering what I’m getting at, this is a cover of the song that turned Lorde into a star (until she suddenly disappeared).  Does that mean this song is bad?  It doesn’t but it seems too extreme compared to the minimal original.  Not to say that metal bands can’t cover pop songs, but certain metal bands can’t cover certain pop songs.  I mean, I find the idea of DevilDriver covering “Sail” interesting because they keep the original tone but add metal instrumentation, production, and vocals to the song.  Here's that version:
What they ultimately did was take an electro-rock song with elements and writing that can work in harder rock and kept them while taking certain element further than what AWOLNATION could have (and the fact that the original is DLC in Rocksmith is interesting since I can now find the link between the original).  The reason for bringing up that cover is because Otep’s “Royals” is trying too hard to metal-up a song that really didn’t need a metal version.  Due to that, the moments when the song makes the vocals more aggressive end up making the song sound less impactful.  The only time the metal elements work is in the verses, when Otep manages to show her more melodic, human side while keeping the disgust, but it falls apart in the chorus, where it becomes a slurry of noise.  It’s okay by my standards, despite being rather noisy for the sake of being noisy (it’s not as if she’s trying to be musically discomforting on purpose), but many people are going to hate this.  I don’t hate Otep, but there are times when I need to take a break from her bouts of rage.  This might have appealed to me when I was younger and more naïve, but it’s good for certain moods.

So those were my thoughts on the charts and the new arrivals.  If you feel that I skipped out on certain songs, then feel free in the comments what songs you want me to elaborate on.  I have plans depending on how this is received for what I will review next week as well as what is new next week for the chart(s) I ultimately look at.  If you have different opinions on the songs I reviewed, feel free to tell me in the comments as well.

And yes, my best-of list beat Todd’s to being released first.
And I’m sure that it will mean nothing.  He's more popular than me.

Until Next Time, This is The Rock Otaku.  Live Loud and Play Hard.

All used references are done under the rules of fair use and are owned by their original creators. 



No comments:

Post a Comment